Thursday, September 03, 2009

Wow, a new month?

It's September now... which means it's time to ramp up for NaNoWriMo.Behind the scenes, it's getting frantic as we prepare the site for relaunch, rush to deal with the increased traffic flow to the site, coordinate our efforts, and in general behave like a bunch of screaming lunatics. 

And that's just me. I imagine it's even crazier on the OTHER side of the country!

With the coming of September, it's time for me to think hard about what I'm going to write.  Some years, I try to plan, but I usually fail the more I plan.  this year, I find myself in the unique position of having a WIP. So do I continue it during November, set aside my momentum and do something new, or do I rush to finish it before November and start NaNo like you're supposed to, with a new project?

I mean, I've proven I can do NaNo. It's not even really a challenge anymore... I mean, I've done my 50k in 10 days before. (I don't recommend it, by the way. My wrist hurt for a month after that.)  I keep saying I'm going to double it for 100k, but I've always gotten lazy the closer I get to the deadline.

Not to mention, I don't actually know what I want to write. I have thought about taking the characters from my steampunk novel from last year and sticking them in a different story. I love them, but the story I tried to write wasn't the right one for them.  I wound up abandoning them halfway through and starting on the one I'm working with now.

I dunno. I can join the ranks of the rebels and not validate this year, but that just seems... wrong. I mean, if it's not NaNo, it's not NaNo, you know?  But then again, what do  I have to prove?

Oh, the angst.

No comments: