Friday, December 07, 2012

So what about NaNoWriMo 2012?

This year has kicked my butt in SO many ways. It's the busiest, most successful year that NaNoWriMo has ever had. I didn't lose, unlike last year, but I did spend every waking moment working and/or writing.  Usually both.

I hit a nasty little bout of depression towards the end of the month, and didn't write at all for days, but I pulled a nice little heroic win out of it.

This year was different for me. It's the first year I've been proud of winning in a while. Before, it's been kinda rote; I did it because I've been doing it, and I'm staff, so I'm supposed to do it. But this year felt different somehow. I was more motivated. Though I was participating as a rebel, and adding 50k to Heaven's Bounty (from 2008), it felt like a greater challenge. Writing 50k in a month is easy for me; I've done it half a dozen times, with a record of 10 days one year. So this was harder; it's a step towards completion, and ultimately, publication.

I'm even getting a winner's shirt this year! I'm suffering from a bit of carpal tunnel, so I've been wearing my brace a lot.

So how was the 2012 event for you? Harder? Easier? Your first time?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I know what you mean about it feeling kind of "by rote". This was my 8th consecutive win (yes, I AM proud of that streak, thankyouverymuch) and I've been adding additional challenges for a few years now. I tried my hand at plotting for the first time in 2008 as a challenge to myself, and I've also done novel-by-public-vote, a choose your own adventure, and now two more "serious" plots where I couldn't just throw in random padding. Otherwise, yeah, I think that it would get very boring.

Unknown said...

Unknown? Really, Google? You have me log in with my Google account then call me Unknown? Pfft. This is syntheticjesso, and that up there was me, too :)

Unknown said...

I know what you mean about this year being different. I didn't "rebel," but after the Damned Stroke, this win felt... extra-win-like.

And of course, as soon as I finished the word count challenge, something else distracted me. Argh?