Sunday, November 09, 2008

Day 9 - behind

Good lord, I suck. I'm behind, for the first time in what, three years? Something like that. As you can see, I'm working in fits and starts. Two or three days i've written nothing. I've got an hour and 15 minutes left in this day, and I haven't written anything.

I think it comes from having beaten the challenge so often, and in record time, that it's just not a big deal. I'm going to win... I know that, and it gives me no reason to rush.

I have nothing to prove.

With that said, I'm starting to enjoy this story. Characters are starting to come alive, and some of them are really taking on a life of their own. I have a mystery going, and I'm not sure where it's going to end up-- this is why I don't like planning. Half of the fun is discovering where the story is going. I am really enjoying myself this year. I'm not as frantic, and I'm sure my husband is glad of that.

One thing I didn't anticipate was how much harder it is to write with two small children. With one, I could just plop her in a playpen, or write during naps. Right now, there's always something going on. Being forums moderator hasn't taken much time away (I spent the same amount of time last year doing it on a volunteer basis without all the cool tools) . Doing write-ins is hard with a baby. Last year, Elisabeth was two, and the year before, one... so she wasn't in the wiggly non-walker phase Rebekah's in now. It's definitely a challenge.

I'll manage. Off to get in my word count before midnight (and I may fudge my time zones a bit to get it on my graph under the wire. Naughty Heather!

No comments: