Friday, October 06, 2006

So, a plot?

Sure, the title of the Chris Baty (founder of NaNoWriMo) book is No Plot, No Problem, but in my case, I actually do rather need a plot to write. Otherwise, I stare at a blinking cursor.

Don't confuse this with writer's block. I do have writer's block, but thanks to NaNo, I learned to ignore it. Can't figure out how to get from where you are to the next scene? Skip it! Stick a nice little ***some text here*** sort of thing there, and move on. If you sit and stare at it, it's just going to get worse! By powering through, you can just keep moving, keep writing, and keep making progress. You can always come back and add more, but if you never move forward, you'll never finish the thing.

So, I've gotten sidetracked.

My plot.

I've toyed around with the thought of doing something mythology based. I've worked in the same fantasy world for so many years that I'm kindof in a rut, a rut I would like very much to get out of. So, I've narrowed it down to three possibilities:

Chinese mythology, focused on dragons (I'm a dragon nut... why not?)
Celtic mythology, focused on the Tuatha de Danaan (spelling?)
Norse mythology, focused on Ragnarok

I'm not really familiar with any of those, truth be told, but I know a little, enough to be intrigued and enough to want to do something with them. Whatever I write, it won't involve a whole lot of research. I may just read a tale or two, and go from there. I don't like restricting my fantasy writing a whole lot beyond what's in my head already. It's just too easy to get bogged down in the details, and I learned two years ago that it's hard to do NaNo when your book requires a lot of research. That year, I was doing a biblical fiction story, and I got so bogged down in making it accurate that I lost forward motion.

Now, in other news: I. Want. This. Mug. 16 oz of coffee? A girl could HURT herself.

No comments: